Did you know that driving a car without a valid MOT can result in a £1,000 fine and that driving a vehicle marked ‘dangerous’ by an MOT test can result in a £2,500 fine?
In the UK, it is a legal requirement for all motorists to have an MOT test certificate when driving on the road. This certificate shows that your vehicle has been checked and is safe to be driven.
Driving your car without a valid MOT exposes you and other road users to several avoidable risks and dangers. In this blog post, we’ll discuss the dangers of driving without an MOT and what can happen if you are caught.
Did you know that driving a car without a valid MOT is illegal?
You are breaking the law when you drive your automobile in the UK with a valid MOT. Many people are ignorant of this and continue driving their automobiles without an MOT for an extended time. This little act of negligence can even result in you being banned from driving for life.
You can prevent these risks by contacting AVS for assistance. We will assist you in obtaining your MOT on time. You can even book this service from the comfort of your own home by clicking on this link. If you don’t know when your MOT is due or whether it has expired, we will help you out.
Contact us today, and your roadworthiness will be determined ASAP!
We offer excellent services at competitive rates. Don’t continue risking your life!
All Vehicles Services can help with all of your cars needs right away!
All Vehicle Services: Valid MOT Certificate
Are you looking for a garage near you? A place where you can diagnose and repair all car issues without stress? You’ve come to the correct place. AVS garage is the one-stop shop where you can access top-quality car services.
We take your decision to use All Vehicle Service seriously. Our specialists will take the best care of your vehicle. Our goal is to ensure that your vehicle is well-maintained and safe for your family and loved ones.
With many years of industry knowledge, you can rely on us to repair and service your vehicle to the greatest possible standard. Our expert mechanics are ready to handle all major and minor repairs on your vehicles. We specialize in the maintenance and repair of all makes and models of automobiles.
We provide the finest auto garage services, such as MOT testing, car servicing, car repairs, and diagnostics. We can fix any problem, including those concerning clutches, brakes, engines, alternators, electrical, tires, and more.
Call us today and get a quote for any repair work you need. You can also learn more by
visiting our About Us page.
Services Offered in our Garage include:
- Brake Repair Specialist
- Complete Computer Diagnostics
- Complete Safety Analysis
- Oil and Filters Change
- MOT Certificate
- Drivability Problems
- Car Insurance
What is an MOT Certificate?
The MOT Certificate is a document issued by the Ministry of Transport. It certifies that your vehicle has been inspected and determined safe to be driven on the road. The certificate is valid for one year, after which you will need to renew it. If caught driving without a valid MOT Certificate, you can be fined up to £1000, and your vehicle could be impounded. It can also invalidate your insurance claims,
To get an MOT certificate, your car has to be in good, healthy condition. One of the most affordable ways to keep your lovely vehicle in great shape is by regularly maintaining it. At AVS, we are equipped with the latest tools and machines that can help us diagnose and fix all technical, mechanical and electrical faults in your vehicles without breaking a sweat.
An MOT is still required when you want to sell your car or transfer its registration to another person.
An MOT test check includes the following:
- Lights examination: This is to confirm that your vehicle’s lights are working properly. It involves checking that the Front, rear, brake, fog, indicator lights, and rear reflectors are correctly positioned, secured, and operational on your vehicle.
- Brake health: MOT will confirm that your brake pedals and levers are in fine working order.
- Tires and Wheels: Your vehicle’s tires are in good condition and have the correct tread depth. The test will also establish that the wheels and tires are in excellent condition and that all nuts are securely fastened.
- Safety Tools: MOT will check if your vehicle’s mirrors, horns, and seatbelts are all in good working order. These safety tools are very important in preventing or escaping car accidents.
- Environmental Safety: As concerns continue to grow about global warming, MOT also determines if your vehicle is safe for the environment. It checks that your vehicle does not produce too much exhaust smoke.
If you take your car for its MOT and fail, you will be given a list of things that need to be fixed. You will need to get these repairs done and then take your car back for a retest. Once your vehicle passes its MOT, you will be issued a new certificate that declares it safe to be driven.
Driving Without Valid MOT: What are the risks?
The MOT test is not mandated by the government to frustrate your driving experience; rather, it keeps you safe and protects other road users. Driving without an MOT in the UK is an expensive risk. Here are some of the risks associated with driving without a valid MOT
1. You risk an expensive fine
When caught driving without an MOT in the UK, you can get fined up to £1000. The amount can even get as high as £2500 if the car you’re caught driving has been marked dangerous by an MOT test.
2. You risk a lifetime ban
Another unpopular risk of driving without an MOT is a ban on driving. Your license can be rendered invalid when you choose to drive without an MOT in the UK. It infers that you are not concerned about your safety and that of other road users.
3. You risk invalidating your insurance coverage.
Depending on your policy’s nature, you may lose your insurance claims if anything happens to your car when the MOT is expired. If you are involved in a car accident, your insurance company will not cover the repair costs or damages.
4. You are at risk of breaking more road safety laws:
UK laws state that driving without valid car insurance coverage is a punishable offence. Driving your vehicle without can invalidate your insurance, which is a punishable offense. The police can seize your vehicle or charge you a fixed penalty fine of £200.
FEW OCCASIONS WHERE YOU WILL NOT BE PUNISHED FOR DRIVING WITHOUT AN MOT
1. If you are driving it to a mechanic to have the reasons for an MOT failure repaired
It is okay to drive your car when driving to a garage to fix the reasons highlighted for an MOT failure on the vehicle. To be on the safer side, you should book an appointment without your mechanic before putting the car on the road.
2. If you are driving to the MOT Test Center
To be permitted under this condition, your MOT test must have already been booked at least 30 days before your former MOT certificate expires. If this is not the case, you may be penalized.
3. If your car is less than 3 years old:
Brand new cars may not have an MOT. This is because, compared to older automobiles, all of the components of a new vehicle are fresh and completely working. Kindly note that this is not applicable if you are buying a used car.
4. Your car is 40 years plus
When your vehicle reaches the age of 40, you can declare it MOT exempt. However, remember that insurance providers may still need it to confirm your claims.
Penalty for Driving Without MOT
Driving a car without a current MOT carries a maximum £1,000 penalty. Driving a car that an MOT test considered a “dangerous condition” can result in an unlimited fine of up to £2,500, a driving prohibition, and 3 penalty points.
Can I report a person who has a bad MOT?
If you notice a car driving with no MOT, you should call the police in your area.
You’ll require the following information concerning the car:
- Vehicle’s Number Plate
- Make or Type
- Model Colour Location
- Registration Number
The driver could face a £1000 fine after the police have finished their investigation.
Why do people choose us, All Vehicles Services?
All Vehicles Services provides a full range of excellent MOT testing services for all vehicles.
We are an authorized MOT testing centre, which means that we can offer our customers several advantages, including:
- Experienced and qualified staff: Our services here at AVS are unbeatable because our mechanics are thoroughly trained, highly experienced and very innovative. This is one of the primary reasons why we are the people’s choice: our team is knowledgeable about identifying and fixing every car problem.
- We are a certified MOT expert: Our technicians are experts in conducting professional and detailed MOT tests.
- Competitive prices: At All Vehicle Services, every customer receives excellent services at highly affordable rates. We offer some of the most competitive prices in the city.
- The convenient location: We are not hard to find. We are located in the heart of the city of Sittingbourne, making us easily accessible by public transport or car.
- Extended opening hours: With AVS, you don’t have any reason to panic due to car troubles. We are open from Monday to Friday, from 08:00 to 18:00, and on Saturday from 08:00 to 12:00. You can come to us at any convenient time.
- We are fast: When you bring your car to AVS, Sittingbourne, you can be sure that you will be attended to without delay. Whatever the case, our team of highly knowledgeable mechanics and technicians will employ modern tools and machines to detect the problems and give them a long-lasting fix in no time.
- Warranty: All our MOT services come with a 12-month warranty.
Getting your car serviced and maintained is critical to preserve its longevity and performance. However, keeping track of all that has to be done cannot be easy. All Vehicles Services can help with this. We provide a comprehensive car MOT database that includes the MOT date and a valid certificate.
Do you need an MOT test?
Contact us today to book an appointment. We look forward to hearing from you!
Benefits of having a Valid MOT Certificate.
The main advantage of having a valid MOT certificate is that it ensures your vehicle is safe to drive, protecting you and other road users from harm caused by car accidents. An MOT test checks for several different safety issues, including:
- Tires condition and tread depth
- Brake performance
- Emissions levels
- Seatbelts and other safety features
- It is also a legal requirement.
Tips for your First MOT Certification at All Vehicles Services
If you are coming to us for your first MOT test, there are a few things you can do to prepare. We recommend that you:
- Feel free to ask us questions about anything you don’t understand.
- Ensure all your lights are in working order, including brake lights, headlamps, and indicators.
- Check the tire condition and tread depth and ensure they meet the minimum requirements.
- Ensure your brakes are in good condition.
- Clean the interior and exterior of your vehicle so that our testers can better understand its condition.
We hope these tips have been helpful. If you have any further questions, please don’t hesitate to contact us.
Q: What is Automatic Number Plate Recognition?
A: Systems on board police cars and Number Plate Recognition (ANPR) cameras are a technology that uses optical character recognition on images to read vehicle registration plates to create vehicle location data. It can be used for various enforcement activities, such as detecting uninsured vehicles, expired MOT and others.
Q: Can I have a driving ban if my MOT has expired?
A: A £1000 fine may be imposed on you if the police stop you and discover that you are operating a vehicle without a current MOT. If your car is deemed dangerous, you could also be subject to a driving ban and the addition of three penalty points to your license.
Q: What should I do if My Vehicle is Towed by Authorities?
A: If the authorities have towed your vehicle, you should contact the police department or towing company as soon as possible. You will need to provide them with your car’s registration number and the location where it was towed from.
All Vehicle Services is the leading company in Sittingbourne where you can get fully professonal MOT test and other car-related services. Our team of mechanics are fully trained and highly experienced in the maintenance and repairs of all vehicle types.
If you are looking for a local auto repair shop where you can service your vehicle at a reasonable price or where mechanics can accurately discover and repair the true issues affecting your vehicle? We are here to help.
All Vehicle Services technicians have decades of professional, academic, and practical expertise. If servicing your car at our Sittingbourne location is more convenient for you, we can do so. Request a FREE estimate now! Contact us at 01795 422040.